So I guess I am the new writer. A quick warning: it’s mostly gonna be rats and bats from me. Maybe some cats, but mostly those. Anyway, I am Lila aka Itchynosedmermaid. I am a rat owner and bat lover. So if rats aren’t your forte (music joke) then I suppose that’s a huge shame. Now, RANDOM RAT FACTS.
- Rats take care of injured and sick rats in their group.
- Without companionship rats tend to become lonely and depressed.
- Rats have excellent memories. Once they learn a route they have used, they won’t forget it.
- When happy, rats have been observed to chatter or grind their teeth. This is often accompanied by vibrating eyes.
- Rats make happy “laughter” sounds when they play.
- Rats succumb to peer-pressure, just like humans. Brown rats are prone to disregard personal experiences in order to copy the behaviour of their peers. The urge to copy others is so strong that they will even choose to eat disgusting horrible food if they are in the presence of other rats who are eating it.
- Although very curious animals, rats are also actually quite shy, and prefer to run away than confront a potential threat. Rats, although you may not think it, are extremely clean animals, spending several hours every day grooming themselves and their group members. They are less likely than cats or dogs to catch and transmit parasites and viruses.
- A rat can go longer than a camel without having a drink of water!
- Rats’ tails help them to balance, communicate and regulate their body temperature.
- The rat is the first of the twelve animals of the Chinese zodiac. People born in this year are thought to possess characteristics which are associated with rats: creativity, intelligence, honesty, ambition and generosity.
- Rats are recognised as the vehicle of Lord Ganesh in Indian tradition. They are worshipped at the Karni Devi.
Hope you enjoyed that!
News and Announcements
I would just like to point out that it is nearly the Easter holidays, and that I will be going for a short trip to Cornwall during then. Although I have pretty much slitted my ‘holiday’ into 69 2-hour slots of absolute revision (including 24hrs of Maths, 4hrs of Philosophy, 6hrs plus reading of English and 12hrs for all other subjects.) I might find some time somewhere to keep you guys updated on what’s going on.
Secondly, we have passed our 2000 milestone! Thanks to all of you devoted readers, old or new, who have checked in regularly enough to help us achieve this massive milestone! We are so proud of you guys! Here is a top 5 of the countries with the most amount of views:
5. France-47 Views
I have never written about France (kind of), or talked about it that much, so thanks a lot!
4. Hong Kong-53 Views
They weren’t there before I believe, but they’re there now! It’s a sweet flag to see.
3. Brazil-282 Views
Before you ask, no, I don’t know how either. But apparently you Brazilians just seem to love the blog! Thanks to all those devotees there!
2. United States-428
This is an obvious one. But topping the trumps still is…
1. UK-795 Views
You may not account for half my views anymore but you’re still doing a great job UK, so keep going!
Thank you to everyone who made this happen-blogging has been such a delight thanks to you guys! Don’t forget-if you want to join in, please don’t be afraid to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org ! We are looking for anything from mermaids to how vegetables can be bad for you-I don’t know, it’s what you like, not us! We are also planning on bringing in two new contributers who will be joining us shortly, so look forward to that! We might be all getting little pets soon, I’m buying them as individual mascots…Lews will be doing something, as usual.
And finally, I’d just like to tell you all on a happy note that I passed both my Grade 8 Piano and Grade 5 Clarinet with Merits! I’m so happy! Yep, I just had to tell you that.
Hope you all have a wonderful Easter from the blogging crew here at Nutty Things!
~MoonlightWalnut aka Elayne Snowhawk
Leave a Reply